Sunday, December 13, 2009

PowerStrider CZ Series: Conclusion

If you haven't already read the first two parts of my month long review of the PowerStrider CZ series. Please take a moment to do so Part One and Part Two.

Which brings us to the final portion of my review. After using this for a few weeks and really getting a solid feel on them. I can confidently measure performance, and now wear.

One of the most commonly modified aspects of all Powerstilts is the hoofs. As they wear down the quickest. When you run, jump, leap, and just walk. Your hooves slowly wear down as what ever surface you're on comes into contact with them. Most PowerBockers typically end up adding bits of bike or car tires to their PowerStilts referred to as "Tire Socks". Is this still required with the PowerStrider CZ Series?



I'll invite you to take a look at the photographs of the hoof wear after a couple hours of use. As you can see there is noticeable wear on the bottom of the soles. There is also a nice size chunk of rubber missing. This is typical of hooves from this brand, and not much different than the others currently out there.

I achieved this wear after a good couple mile run down a bike path. I believe the chunk came out due to stepping on a rock in the path. Overall I'd consider it normal for hoof wear. Not great, but not horrible.



Here you can see a side by side comparison of a brand new hoof, and my worn ones. The hooves at the time of being photographed had some good life left in them. So I'd estimate out of regular use of a few hours a week, you'd get 3 to 4 weeks before being required to switch.

Luckily, swapping hooves are a snap with the PowerStrider CZ Series. Instead of having to remove the entire assembly as pointed out in my previous reviews. All you need to do is remove four bolts, and swap out just the pads themselves.

In the picture on the right. You can see the pad being completely removed. This was really simple to do. The Powerstilts themselves actually came with the allen wrench to get the job done and it worked just as good as any I had in my own personal tool box.

In my opinion, if pricing is fair for the replacement pads. Modifications such as Tire Socks become a thing of the past with this new easy design.

As for the spring wear. I noticed the this series of stilts have no spring covers. They're just painted over, and in my normal use. I managed to take some tiny nicks, dings, and scratches throughout it. I'd highly recommend that if purchasing you should immediately cover them with tape, or another means to prolong the life of the spring. The springs lacking covers are a fairly negative aspect of the stilt, but not something that general powerbockers don't end up modifying anyways.

Overall my conclusion is;

They're light, sexy, and responsive.
My original skepticism over the cuff design is gone. It works great.
The bindings are poor, and need replaced. I'd recommend the Poweriser Bindings.
Hoof wear is normal.
The Springs need better protection.


The PowerStrider CZ series overall is a viable powerstilt to consider purchasing. I'd recommend them.

1 comment:

Satsuma Hayato said...

Hi,

Your article was really informative, thank you. I just purchased a pair of Powerstrider Olympic (CZ) a few days ago, and am really psyched. It's a model I've been wanting for at least 5 years. I did not know they were not manufactured within the U.S. - but I read your articles and learned craftsmanship was not a concern. If you have any additional experiences that you could share with us, could you let us know? Thanks!

Hayato

 

Poweriser Authorised USA Dealership PowerStrider Authorised USA Dealership
jumping stilts and spring stilts